For many years, charcoal barbecues have become the perfect companion for those who like to cook outdoors. Today, many restaurants still serve food cooked on charcoal. But why? Do they have so many advantages? Does it give the meat such a good taste?
The best charcoal bbq of 2020
Table of Content
- 1 The best charcoal bbq of 2020
- 2 What are the advantages of charcoal bbq?
- 3 What do you have to look at when buying a charcoal bbq?
- 4 Where should you place your charcoal barbecue?
- 5 Is it easy to clean a charcoal bbq?
- 6 Are they better than other bbq or grill barbecues?
Here is a complete analysis of the top rated charcoal barbecues of 2020 – discover them!
What are the advantages of charcoal bbq?
Until not long ago, cooking with charcoal barbecues was commonplace. And although over time people have been opting for other options, the truth is that a coal bbq that uses charcoal today is much more recommendable than other models:
- It is very economical: There are dozens of models on the market, which are adapted to the needs of each person. Of course there are models that are expensive, but there are others that are quite cheap and interesting.
- The fuel is more economical: The time when buying coal was almost prohibitive has come to an end. In addition, it is much healthier now that charcoal is used for this type of barbecue.
- It has a high calorific power: Although gas or electricity can reach high temperatures, of approximately 300º, nothing resembles the calorific power of coal. This can reach a temperature of up to 500º, perfect for roasting.
- Easy to transport: Charcoal bbqs are much easier to transport from one place to another. In other types, such as gas, you have to think about the barbeque plus the cylinder. It can be taken anywhere without taking up much space.
- Different nuances to the taste of the meat: Depending on the type of charcoal used, the meat gets a unique and different taste. As if that were not enough, the smoke generated by the embers also helps the meat taste to become something special, with a texture that coal barbecues achieve cannot be achieved with other types of barbecues.
- You can cook with wood: Just because it is a charcoal bbq does not mean specifically that you should use only charcoal. Many people use wood to make their dishes in these fantastic barbecues, and enjoy a great conversation with that nice smell of burning wood.
- Different levels of cooking: Most of the modern models of charcoal barbecues allow you to raise or lower the level of the charcoal bed, as well as the grids on which you place your meat and vegetables. Thanks to this, different cooking levels can be achieved at different speeds.
- Easy to clean: Until not long ago, cleaning a charcoal barbecue could be a real headache. Today, however, many of them have a “one-touch” function, which allows fast and efficient cleaning in a short time.
What do you have to look at when buying a charcoal bbq?
Choosing a barbecue is quite complicated, as each person needs specific characteristics to meet their needs. However, there are a number of common characteristics to look at when buying a charcoal barbecue:
- Barbecue or grill… don’t get confused! Many people think that a grill is the same as a barbecue, when in fact they are very different. If you go to the shop and see a barbecue without a lid, it’s not a barbeque. It is what is known as a grill. Barbecues have a cover, to cover the ingredients and make them with the heat from the inside. Even if you use charcoal, if it doesn’t have a lid, a charcoal grill won’t interest you much.
- Will you take it with you?: Choosing one of the many models of coal bbqs on the market will depend on the type of use you are going to give it. If you are going to take the barbecue with you when you go out, you will be interested in a model with wheels. However, if it is for your terrace, or garden, you can save by buying a fixed barbecue.
- What kind of fuel will you use: Here you have to be very careful. It is true that most models are mixed and allow you to use wood and coal for heat. However, some models are exclusively for use with charcoal. You will have to ask before buying it. We explain you how to choose the best charcoal for your barbecue and to get a real professional result.
- How much are you willing to spend: When you look at charcoal barbecue catalogues you will see that there are many prices. Actually, do you need to buy the most expensive model? Of course not, because you can go for models a little cheaper. If it’s for a garden, or when you go out on a trip, buying a small charcoal barbecue will be more than enough. For the garden, if you like to make family meals, you should still look for a bigger design.
Where should you place your charcoal barbecue?
Before you proceed to buy a charcoal barbecue, you have to think, do you have enough space to have it? Not all houses offer you the space to have one. So, what do you need to consider to locate your barbecue?
- The wind direction: Generally, the wind direction does not play an important role when using charcoal barbecues, since it closes the lid so that the meat is made better. But what if you tried to cook with the lid open? The wind can be a big drawback in the process, so you have to look for an isolated area, or one where the air currents are not very large.
- Look for an area near a tree: You have to be very careful with this. It’s nice to barbecue near a tree, but you don’t have to stick to it. You have to look for a point where you can be under its branches cooking, but at a prudent distance so that, if some ember jumps, a fire does not take place.
- A protected area that isolates the noise: Not all the neighbours like the noise that can be made when you have a barbecue. For this reason you need to have fences or bushes to isolate the noise.
- The perfect size: It is usually recommended that the area where you place a barbecue, whether it is a garden or a terrace, should be at least 10 square metres, thus having enough space to enjoy cooking comfortably in your fantastic appliance.
- Will the smoke bother you: Think that barbecues generate a lot of smoke, and that this smoke will move with the wind. That is why you have to place it away from doors or windows, to prevent smells from entering the house. Besides, it is not good to cook right next to the place where you are going to eat, because it will make your guests uncomfortable.
- In the garden or on the terrace: Certainly, having a charcoal barbecue makes it necessary to think a lot about the best place to install it. In the garden you can have one, but it has to be located on a slab floor and free of vegetation. In the terrace it is always a better option, but it has to give a clear area and the wind does not come from the front, to avoid the smoke to penetrate inside the fireplace.
- What about a kitchen barbecue: Nowadays there are some models of barbecue that can be installed in kitchens and prepare the dishes as they were done in the past, why not try them?
Is it easy to clean a charcoal bbq?
A lot of people are a bit reluctant to buy a charcoal barbecue because they are difficult to clean. However, the more modern models allow simple, fast cleaning and save a lot of time in the process.
The steps to follow to clean a charcoal bbq are:
- Start by removing the ashes and the remains of the embers that have been left after the barbecue. These may be somewhat stuck to the walls of the barbecue, so you will need to use a spatula to remove them.
- Once all the ashes have been removed, it’s time to get rid of any leftover food that may have stuck to it. Special barbecue brushes can be used for this purpose. There are also special liquids for this process in the shops. Some are specific for each model of barbecue.
- Once everything has been removed, it is best to let the barbecue dry outdoors. Or you can use a dry cloth to remove the remains of the cleaning product.
How often do you need to clean a charcoal barbecue?
Ideally, you should clean it well after each use. But once a month should be enough to keep it in good condition. If you remove the remains of food, avoiding them to stay stuck, you can clean the area of the coals less often.
Are they better than other bbq or grill barbecues?
Certainly, charcoal barbecues have many advantages, and in some aspects they beat other barbecue models. For example, the calorific value is certainly higher and the smell of burning wood is pleasant. In addition, it gives a different texture to the meat. And, of course, it is much easier to transport, not requiring a strong external energy source to operate.
But perhaps its biggest drawback is that it controls the amount of carbon. With an electric or gas powered one you don’t have to think about controlling the amount of coal you have left. Maybe that’s a drawback. Still, the appeal of these barbecues is that you can experiment with different types of charcoal until you find the one that tastes the best for your personal taste.