What is the best bbq coal?
Table of Content
- 1 What is the best bbq coal?
- 2 Charcoal, the best coal for bbqs and Grill Barbecues
- 3 Best coal for barbecues find it online
- 4 How can you identify quality of coal for bbq?
- 5 How should you light a fire with charcoal?
- 6 What is it better for bbq coal or wood?
- 7 The coal for BBQ is better for grills or barbecues?
Have you decided to buy a charcoal barbecue? Excellent decision! Now you have to think about what kind of coal you are going to use for your barbecue. Because you are asking yourself, what is the best charcoal for barbecues? Right?
Charcoal, the best coal for bbqs and Grill Barbecues
The truth is that it is quite easy to decide. Charcoal is undoubtedly the best for a barbecue. This charcoal is made by burning oak wood, at about 500 degrees centigrade in the absence of air.
With this, almost all the humidity is eliminated from the wood, and the calorific power that the charcoal will later have is increased. This makes it double the heat that the wood will have at the beginning. Of course, the process to manufacture this type of charcoal is slow, and lasts about 20 days.
Charcoal is made from different types of wood. Oak is the most common, but you can also find charcoal from orange, quebracho or coconut. Each one has a different calorific value, and depending on the dish it is more suitable for.
There is also what is known as mineral coal. This is the one that is extracted directly from the coal mines. It was formerly used for trains. But nowadays it is in disuse due to its high degree of pollution.
Best coal for barbecues find it online
How can you identify quality of coal for bbq?
Certainly, it can be a little difficult to distinguish quality coal being a novice. Now, keep in mind that the charcoal you will find in supermarkets is of lower quality than the one you can buy from a charcoal shop. The reason? These are manufactured in a process that takes just a few hours, mass-produced quickly. This is why they have a lower calorific value.
The quality of bbq coal must have these characteristics:
- Durable: Quality coal can last a long time when lit, which makes it much more economical and means less work because no more coal has to be added to the barbecue.
- Tasty: A good charcoal helps meat, fish and vegetables to taste better.
- Higher calorific value: In a barbecue, the calorific value is everything. The higher the better. Quality charcoal reaches a temperature of 500 degrees, while a lower one may not even reach 300 degrees. This means that it takes longer to make the dishes.
- Heavier: By the weight you can also identify a good coal. A 3 kg bag of a quality charcoal takes up half the space of a bag of the same weight of a low quality charcoal.
How should you light a fire with charcoal?
This is not something you need to worry too much about, because charcoal is actually much easier to light than it looks. You don’t have to use flammable tablets or liquids, because that will only add a paraffin smell to the dishes.
Using a charcoal holder, or electric lighter, you can light the charcoal. As an added bonus, pine cones or wood chips are used to help slow down the ignition but safely. A slightly slower but safe process.
What is it better for bbq coal or wood?
Remember that charcoal is still wood that has been subjected to a fireproof process to achieve that shape. But the truth is that there are some differences when it comes to using charcoal or wood.
The heating power of charcoal is higher than that of wood, so if you have a large barbecue you will be more interested in this type of material. And for some meats, it will always be better to use charcoal than wood. It also lasts much longer when lit. Charcoal can stay lit for a couple of hours, while wood will burn faster.
On the other hand, in the long run it is much cheaper to buy sacks of charcoal than wood. Of course, for some delicacies it will always be better to use wood. But, if you want to save, charcoal will always be the best option.
The coal for BBQ is better for grills or barbecues?
You know that there is a big difference between barbecue and grill, right? Barbecues are better for cooking, because the cover keeps the heat better and they are much safer. However, why is it better?
Without a doubt, charcoal is better for barbecues. Because charcoal is healthier, it’s not so bad if the smoke hits you in the face while you’re cooking. Although it’s much better to use a construction barbecue, in a charcoal one you can use it without fear. It’s also easy to clean and remove any debris left behind.