When summer arrives, nothing feels better than having a good wood bbq outdoors with friends and family. However, you have to choose the type of barbecue you are going to use carefully. For example, wood-burning barbecues are a great option for those who like to cook meat.
Best wood burning bbq on the market
Table of Content
Why a wood bbq?
Having options such as charcoal or gas barbecues may not appeal much to you the idea of those using wood. But do you know the advantages of this type of barbecue for you? They can be a much more interesting option than you imagine:
- Many models: Some types of bbbq have a limited catalogue. On the other hand, the wood-burning barbecues have dozens of options, adjusting to the type of kitchen of each person. What do you like to take with you? Portable models are sold. Moving it from one side to another to make the most of the sun? Models with wheels to make it easy to move them around. Of course there are also fixed models, made of brick or stone.
- A suitable price: Many people are put off by the idea of buying a wood-burning barbecue because of the cost of wood. However, the models are so economical that it is a safe long-term investment.
- Better taste for food: Wood enhances the taste of food much more than a gas bbq. In addition, any type of product can be cooked, whether it is meat, fish or vegetables.
- Different types of wood: Just like charcoal, you can find different types of wood on the market to use in your barbecue. Each one is perfect for one type of food, and will give a different flavour to your dishes.
- It can be mixed: What if you bought a mixed barbecue? Many models allow cooking with charcoal and wood. This way you can experiment and decide which one you like to cook with more.
- Durable: The important thing when buying a wood bbq is that it will last a long time. Wooden barbecues can be made of iron or brick. These are painted with thermal paint, which helps to support the heating power of the wood.
What kind of wood can you use in a wood bbq?
It is true that in UK there are many types of wood, so it is not difficult to find one that you can use for your barbecue. However, first you have to distinguish between the different types. They are usually grouped into two categories:
Hard: Hard woods are those that come from trees with great hardness and resistance. They offer the best embers for the barbecue, and a fantastic caloric yield. Hard wood is considered to be the wood from above, kermes oak, olive tree or oak.
Soft: Unlike the previous ones, these last less time lit and less embers are obtained. It is not as powerful as hard wood. Therefore, it is intended for the preparation of fast dishes. Soft wood is considered to be that of fruit trees, except for the orange tree, which is considered to be hard wood. Give a great aroma and tate cooking with this wood in your wood bbq.
In some areas of UK, other types of firewood are used, such as vine shoots or branches. These are used for the preparation of paella or roasts. They require great control of the fire, so only expert cooks are able to use them.
What is the heating capacity of each type of wood?
At the beginning it can be difficult for a novice to get used to a read barbecue, as controlling the calorific value of this is important. In addition, you have to think that there is wood from above, oak, olive, orange, almond… more than a dozen types that can be found in any shop.
Depending on the type of dish, you will be interested in one with a higher calorific value than the other. For example, if the meat is very thick it will be better to use one with more power, whereas if it is for a meat like hamburger, the one with less power is the most interesting option.
Ordered from highest to lowest, this is the heating capacity of each type of wood:
- Above: 4900
- Chestnut: 4800
- Elm: 4790
- Oak: 4690
- Olive tree: 4678
- Beech: 4630
- Pine: 4557
Firewood from hardwood trees has the highest calorific value. Just like lighting a fire, or a chimney, you have to take into account the heating capacity to achieve the most delicious dish.
Some shops may sell you what is known as “green wood”. This is a much cheaper wood, but it has less calorific power and gives off a rather unpleasant white smoke. It is not the best choice when it comes to cooking.
How should you light a wood bbq?
Remember, it is always better to use wood from a hard tree, and, of course, that it is always dry. It is often said that the best wood for a barbecue has to be kept outdoors in the sun for 6 months. This helps it to lose all the water it contains. It should not have branches, nor leaves or green twigs. If they do, this will cause thick smoke, plus it will cost a lot more to light the barbecue.
Once you have the wood on your barbecue, light the firewood and use shovels or iron tongs to stir it until the embers are formed. It can take about the same time to light the fire as the charcoal, but you should keep a close eye on it to prevent the fire from burning out.
Where should you place this type of wood bbq?
As this type of barbecue generates a lot of smoke, it should be ideally located. If you are going to build a site barbecue, if you buy it with a hood you will not have to worry much about the smoke and you will have more freedom to choose its location.
On the other hand, if you buy an iron barbecue, you will have to be a little more careful. Put it away from doors and windows, in an outdoor area where you don’t have the wind against you, or the smoke generated will bother you when cooking. Although many barbecue models have a lid, some dishes are more tasty if cooked without one.